Friday, August 30, 2013

Bargains

I'm not the sort who's always alert to the best bargains.  It goes back to when I was little.  I didn't get an allowance, and I didn't need one, because I rarely spent money.  I was slow to get into consumer culture.

But I must say that my father is alert to them. (I guess it comes from being a Depression kid.) When he buys an appliance he's almost certain to buy the cheapest model in the store:  you have to fight him before he'll buy the second cheapest.  My sister says it's a way to avoid making a complicated decision.  On the other hand, of course, you could also avoid the decision by buying the most expensive model.

Father's also a rather stingy tipper, so I try to be more generous with my tips.

So I really don't know much about the value of money.  I'm unemployed, and still living with my family.  I still don't spend that much.  I occasionally travel, but most years I don't. (It's nice to live in a big city that many people travel to.) 

In recent years my main indulgence has been singing lessons with Giuseppe Macina.  And he only charges fifty dollars a lesson.  He gives good value for money:  some teachers charge twice as much, but that doesn't mean they'll be twice as good. (And he's a colorful character.)

No comments:

Post a Comment