Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hoarding

We used to keep a lot of old magazines like The Saturday Review down at our cottage.  Mother resolved that she'd get around to reading them someday, but she never did.  We also had a lot of comic books, but Father burned most of them just before our cottage was sold.  I guess I should have intervened to save them, but I was too proud:  I was sick of whining about things like that.

In recent years, I've been buying stuff on Ebay.  I have a big collection of Sunday funnies, many of which I remember from childhood. (In Canada, of course, Sunday comics usually appear in the big Saturday papers.) Collecting Li'l Abner, I've finally noticed that the Lower Slobbovians talk in a Yiddish accent. (That was over my head at the time.)  I've also bought some comic books, including a lot of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge and Classics Illustrated.  I've mostly stopped now.

But our big hoarding has always been books.  We own thousands of them, and about ten years ago Father started selling them online through ABEbooks.  He's still buying new ones, often finding them at Goodwill or library sales or this neighborhood buy & sell owned by an Iranian-Canadian.  We just assembled a new set of bookcases in our living room.

We also have a lot of VHS movies and vinyl records.

No comments:

Post a Comment