Saturday, August 24, 2013

Things that scared me

[Note:  this is a subject I submitted.]

When I was four, I saw the movie The Great Race, which includes a scene where Tony Curtis swims across a lake at night, climbs into a dark tower and challenges a baron to a swordfight.  That scene scared the daylights out of me!  I also remember seeing a movie of Oliver Twist where the scene where everyone chased him and yelled "Stop, thief!" made me freak out.

I also remember hearing the the story of Hansel and Gretel on a record and getting scared. (But most people must have been scared by that story.)

At the beach near our cottage seaweed sometimes formed big clumps and I was afraid to go near them.

In gym class we once played battleball, a game like dodgeball but with a whole lot of balls being thrown at once.  Near the end of one game everyone was out except for me and one guy on the other team.  I suddenly got afraid and ran in a panic, and he got me out easily, so the other team won and I was the Charlie Brown.

When I was little, we had a Classics Illustrated comic book of Victor Hugo's The Man Who Laughs, about a 17th-century freak whose face had deliberately been made grotesque by early plastic surgery.  The look of his face still gets to me today:  I bought the comic on Ebay but I still can't get up the nerve to read it again.

I used to swin when I was young.  Our pool had a low diving board and a high one.  I could jump off the low one, dive off the low one and jump off the high one easily.  But I only dived off the high board a few times.  I was afraid that when I bent over and prepared to dive, the board would snap in two just before I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment