Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Talking to yourself

Sure, I talk to myself.  But I don't think I do so audibly or moving my lips or anything, so I'm not afraid of being thought crazy.  I have heard people talking to themselves in the street--that's one feature of life in a big city.  I guess I feel sorry for them, but I do tend to keep my distance.

My mother used to sing to herself a lot.  That used to bug me, especially when she sang a song repeatedly.  But now I wish I'd been more tolerant of it.  She knew a lot of songs.

As craziness goes, I guess talking to yourself is a mild form.  There's a big difference between barking and biting.  Even religious craziness doesn't scare me that much.  I'm more scared of patriotic craziness, like in an online forum discussing the Bradley Manning trial when someone says, "The government didn't do one thing wrong!" That's a matter of faith.

Of course, when a whole group goes crazy, as in wartime, the people who stay sane may look crazy just because they don't fit in. I've always been a bit of a misfit myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment