Friday, April 18, 2014

Museums

When I lived in London in the mid-1990s, I got to know the museums well.  If I could be anywhere in the world right now, I'd be in the National Gallery in the section with the eighteenth-century paintings.  Right next to it is the National Portrait Gallery, which I always have to visit twice to see completely:  it's full of history as well as art.

Another London museum I like is the Victoria & Albert Museum.  It's devoted to applied art, which I like because you don't have to worry about what it means; it's enough for it to look nice.  I remember a time when I was in the glassware section and thought, "There's an Englishman coming toward me!" and it turned out I was approaching a mirror.

I like museums with historical subjects, like the Imperial War Museum (especially the uniforms), and the Museum of London, which takes you through the city's long history.  And I'm familiar with famous places like the British Museum and the Tate Gallery.

I've visited London several times since then.  And I make the whole round of museums.  I'm not sure if I can do it again.  When I visited two years ago, my legs got really sore from all the walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment