Saturday, April 12, 2014

The first movie I saw

What was the first movie I saw?  I can't say for sure, but a strong contender is The Monkey's Uncle, a Disney comedy about a college inventor called Merlin Jones.  I saw it when I was three, just before my family sailed to England for a year. (I'm sure of this because when we got onto the ship we had a comic book of The Monkey's Uncle with us.) I remember that the sun was still up when we went in, but it was dark when we came out.

Another movie I saw at an early age was The Great Race, which we saw in England on my brother Donald's birthday.  The first scene was set on a fairground that looked huge when I was four, but less impressive when I saw the movie as a grownup.  And the scene where Tony Curtis swam up to the dark tower and climbed into it for a sword fight with the bad guy really scared me.

I also saw Mary Poppins, and the opening scene where the camera descended from the clouds to street level made a big impression on me.  And I saw The Three Stooges Meet Hercules too.  I think I saw Oliver Twist and freaked out during the scene where the crowd's chasing him and yelling, "Stop, thief!" And I saw animated movies like The Man Called Flintstone and some Disney movies like Peter Pan, Bambi and Cinderella. (Even back then, I found the "Bibbity, bobby, boo" song annoying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment