Thursday, December 3, 2015

Saturday afternoon movies

When I was young I saw some Saturday matinees.  Stuff like Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz, Bambi, Cinderella, Huckleberry Finn, Captain Sinbad, National Velvet, and a Marx Brothers double bill.  But serials and such were before my time.  I remember once before a show when the audience was chattering so loudly that the manager came onto the speakers and told us to quiet down!

I also saw some kiddie movies on Saturday morning on the local TV channel CHSJ from Saint John, N.B.  The show's logo was a rooster and the theme music was a jazzed-up version of Verdi's Anvil Chorus.  They showed stuff like Shirley Temple, Nancy Drew, 1930s comedies starring Joe E. Brown, the comedian with the wide grin, and Snow White and the Three Stooges, which was as odd as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment