Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Donald Duck

When I was young I enjoyed comic books with Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge.  When I got older I found out that Carl Barks, who drew their adventures without credit, is considered one of the medium's most brilliant artists. (Floyd Gottfriedson, who drew Mickey Mouse and Goofy's adventures, is also acquiring a big reputation.) I remember one comic where Donald was putting on a fancy garden party but his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie ended up soaking everyone!

I also like a lot of Walt Disney's Donald Duck cartoons, especially those from the early years were he's creating chaos.  There's one where Mickey Mouse's band is playing the William Tell Overture and Donald takes out a flute and starts playing "Turkey in the Straw," and a moment later the whole band's playing it too! (The two tunes aren't so different.)

On the subject of cartoon ducks, there's also Daffy Duck.  When I was young I would have chosen Bugs Bunny as my favourite Warner Brothers cartoon character, but now that I'm older I prefer Daffy.  Especially the later cartoons where he developed into a curmudgeon!  One of his best cartoons is Duck Amuck, in which the cartoonist keeps changing the scenery on him and driving him up the wall.  And there's also Ali Baba Bunny, in which he and Bugs find themselves inside Ali Baba's treasure cave and Daffy lets it go to his head! ("It's mine, it's mine!")

No comments:

Post a Comment