Monday, August 22, 2016

Parades

I remember that back in the early '70s they'd broadcast Toronto's Santa Claus Parade on nationwide TV!  I actually saw it in person in 1974, the last year when it went down Yonge Street on Saturday morning.

Back in New Brunswick, Moncton had a smaller Santa Claus Parade.  I went to it once or twice, and remember a marching band with one musician playing a glockenspiel, and a guy in a Ronald McDonald clown suit driving a go-cart.

I haven't seen a parade for years. (Are they going out of fashion?) And I don't think I've ever been in one.  I have been in a few protest marches.  In London, England, I walked along Park Lane in a march to protest the free world abandoning Bosnia.  We ended up at Trafalgar Square where Vanessa Redgrave made a speech.

I've seen a classic silent movie about World War I titled The Big Parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment