Friday, August 19, 2016

Vegetables

When we had a garden in New Brunswick we grew a lot of vegetables.  Corn, peas and potatoes especially.  The problem with corn and root crops like carrots is that you have to thin them out once they've grown just a little.  It's hard to choose which plants to keep and which to remove.

Peas require netting, but it's fun to shell them.  Most of the pods would have six or eight peas, but occasionally I'd get one with ten!  I developed a fondness for eating peas raw.  We'd also grow head crops like cabbage and cauliflower and broccoli and brussels sprouts.  Unlike what we grew from seed, we'd buy these plants and grow them in the garden.

That big garden is one of the only things I miss from New Brunswick.  We now have a smaller garden in our back yard.  For a few years I just grew potatoes, but this year I made it bigger and planted stuff like beans and onions.  I also planted two rows of peas with a row of sunflowers between them, in the hope that the pea vines would grow up their stems! (And my sister has planted some herbs in a planter.

No comments:

Post a Comment