Sunday, January 14, 2018

Coyotes

I've never seen a coyote.  I have seen the cartoons with Wile E. Coyote chasing the Roadrunner and always coming to grief. (He got his gadgets from the Acme company!) He never talked.

But he did talk in the really funny cartoon Operation:  Rabbit, in which he chased Bugs Bunny.  At the start he goes up to Bugs and says: 
I'm a coyote and you're a rabbit and I'm going to eat you....  I'm bigger and faster than you, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten!
(Bugs says, "Sorry, mac, the missus ain't home, and besides, we sent you people a cheque last week!")

Of course, he gets outsmarted by Bugs at every turn, and at the end he comes up to Bugs punch-drunk and says "My name is mud!" before collapsing.  Bug gets the closing line: "And remember, mud spelled backward is dumb!" Those cartoons had some great dialogue!

Ever see The Last Waltz, Martin Scorsese's movie about the last concert by The Band?  Joni Mitchell steals the show with a song about a coyote!

No comments:

Post a Comment