Friday, January 19, 2018

Home

I haven't changed my residence much.  When I was young my father was a university professor and every seven or nine years he'd go on sabbatical and we'd live in Brighton, England, or Glasgow, Scotland or Mississauga.  But most of my first 28 years I spent at 8 West Ave. in Sackville, New Brunswick.  And with one exception I've spent the last 25 years at 92 Greensides Avenue here in Toronto.

That exception came in 1995 when I spent eight months in London, England, researching my Ph.D. thesis.  It was the best eight months of my life!  In hindsight, I suppose it was like in aboriginal cultures where a young man goes off without warning on a vision quest, wandering nowhere in particular for an indefinite period of time, to figure out what he himself is all about.  But I'm still not completely sure what I'm all about...

Someone said that great writers tend to live in one place, which I can believe is conducive to settling down and articulating your thoughts.  (I may become a great writer yet...) Eudora Welty spent her whole long life in her original home!  Then again people often lived like that in olden times.

1 comment:

  1. Then I definitely won't be a great writer. I've moved 'home' almost twenty times and more if you count within cities. I'm just a rolling stone who can make home anywhere!

    ReplyDelete