Monday, January 29, 2018

Disability

Last year I got onto Ontario Disability Support Payments because I have Asperger's Syndrome.  Do I deserve it? Maybe, maybe not.  The important thing is that I'm getting it.  If I'd know the system better I might have got onto it a decade earlier, but I don't care.  I have bigger concerns than money.

As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, some people would say I'm on the autistic spectrum.  I don't care for that terminology so much, because compared to low-functioning autistics, my problems look pretty small.

I'm sure glad I don't have a real disability like being blind or needing a wheelchair.  I'd hate to depend on other people, even for just little things.

I have a friend Ann, who suffers from dyslexia.  Once I took a big risk by telling her this joke: "What does DNA stand for?  National Dyslexics Association!" Fortunately, she loved the joke, but she might have been offended.  I mustn't make a habit of such gambling.

In my mother's last years, when we went somewhere and were walking to the car, she'd hold onto my arm for dear life!  I now remember that when I was little I must have held her arm in much the same way.  What comes around goes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment