Saturday, October 20, 2018

Adolescence

Among our vast collection of used books, we have a textbook titled Teenagers, evidently for health class in '50s high schools.  Some of it looks pretty funny today.

There's this one illustrated section showing "Why young people fail to keep jobs." One of the illustrations, captioned "No sense of responsibility," shows a guy working in a garage, who thinks, "I know I'm only supposed to be cleaning this motorcycle, but nobody's around so I think I'll take a little ride on it!"

In another section there are illustrations related to a school dance where readers are supposed to evaluate the "social maturity" of the characters.  One illustration in the "After the dance" section shows two couples driving home, and the boy doing the driving says, "Oh, you girls stop screaming!  The road is clear this time of night, and I want to see what this car can do in the way of speed!"

There are also some illustrations about accident prevention.  In one a girl thinks, "I can't swim, and there's already one non-swimmer in the boat.  Oh well, I'll go anyway." In another a guy says, "Here's a gun for your school play.  I don't think it's loaded!"

No comments:

Post a Comment