Wednesday, October 10, 2018

MAD magazine

When I was little, we had some Mad magazine paperback reprints, though my mother really didn't approve of such humor.  In hindsight this was classic stuff:  I've reread them in recent years and appreciate the humor more as an adult.

There was one where '50s parents are lecturing their teenage kids, about the ridiculousness of young people's clothes, dancing and language.  Then they show the parents when they were young, back in the '20s, wearing raccoon coats and dancing the Charleston and saying things like "Twenty-three skidoo, small change!"

I also remember "TV Shows We'd Like to See." For What's My Line: "How did you guess the identity of our mystery guest so quickly?" "I peeked!" For the Anacin commercial: "What do doctors take for headache and pain relief? How should I know, I'm only an actor!" When Loretta Young makes her grand entrance in the flowing dress through the doorway, her dress gets ripped in two!

I recall lots of other stuff!  In Edgar Allen Poe's version of Dennis the Menace, Dennis burns down the house with his parents in it! ("No more spanking--nevermore!") And the spoof of interior decoration magazines: "The whole room is set off by the colourful drapes.  The whole apartment is set off by dynamite." They made fun of Bobby Darren and Dick and Jane books a lot. And there was one cartoon of a guy watching The Late Show, then The Late, Late Show, then The Early, Early Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment