Sunday, October 14, 2018

Flowers

I can't tell a lot of flowers apart.  Sure, there's the sunflower and the rose and the orchid and the tulip and the pansy and such.  Bit I couldn't tell a petunia from a zinnia to save my life.

I think my favorite flower is the sunflower.  This even though some list that said everything different flowers stand for argued that the sunflower stands for haughtiness.

The way to tell an artifical flower from a real one is by looking up close:  the real flower will have tiny veins while the artificials one will have a crosshatched pattern.

I remember going into a flower shop when I was little and the smell bothered me. (Some scents I was sensitive to back then.)

Back in the 1988 U.S. presidential race, just before the Iowa caucus, Richard Gephardt ran an ad ridiculing his rival Michael Dukakis for advising farmers to grow flowers instead of corn, as well as blueberries and Belgian endives.  Well, it was pretty good advice, but the farmers didn't want to hear new ideas.  Heaven forbid that a presidential candidate should actually give people good advice--his job is to tell the voters what they want to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment