Monday, October 29, 2018

The F-bomb

Scottish soldier in World War II: "The fucking fucker's fucking fucked!"

My parents were in Britain in 1966 and saw the live talk show where Kenneth Tynan used the F-word and caused an outcry...

I once saw a funny Irish movie, The Van, about Colm Meany and his friend operating a fish and chips van.  In an early scene he's learning to fry chips, but ends up burning a whole batch.  Just then his wife asks him for an example of a simile, and he says, "me chips are burnt as fuck!" I like the way the Irish twist the English language around to serve their purpose, like James Joyce's "Yes I said yes I will yes!"

I was reading about the time Loretta Young and Ethel Merman were making a movie together. (At least, I think it was them.) Loretta introduced a swear jar where anyone who swore had to contribute a dime.  Ethel got exasperated and finally said, "Loretta, here's ten dollars.  Now go fuck yourself!"

I remember seeing this website twenty years ago by someone who didn't like the anime Sailor Moon. (He said, "Belle would get higher than 30 on an algebra test.") But the funniest part was a group of emails he'd received and posted.  One was a hostile letter full of censored obscenities, no doubt including the F-word, and was signed, "From your loving mother!" The host said, "I don't think my mother knows half the words he used!"

No comments:

Post a Comment