Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The late show movie

When I was little, the local TV station called its Saturday late show movie "Top Hat Theatre." (They also gave their Thursday night movie the imaginative name "Thursday Night at the Movies"!) But that was past my bedtime back then.  Later, there was also a channel that played the naughty Carry on movies on the Sunday late show.

In the 1980s the CBC showed a lot of classic Warner Brothers movies on the late show.  For me they were a revelation, way better than the MGM factory.  Angels With Dirty Faces introduced me to James Cagney and the Dead End Kids.  They had a lot of movies with Errol Flynn and Humphrey Bogart, including The Maltese Falcon!  There were also musicals like Green Pastures and westerns like They Died With Their Boots on.

I'd watch these movies while waiting till David Letterman's show started.  I lived in the Maritimes then, so while the movie began just before midnight Letterman would start just after 1:30.  This gap was long enough that the movie would usually be over by the time for Letterman. (Most movies were shorter back then.) But I missed the ends of G-Men and Dark Victory and The Life of Emile Zola.  I've seen all of G-Men since then, but not Dark Victory because I can't bear to watch any movie with Ronald Reagan in the cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment