Monday, July 21, 2014

Weddings

I haven't been to a lot of weddings.  Both of them were in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  One was my cousin Owen Vernon when I was ten, the other was my sister Margaret when I was 23.  Needless to say, I've never got married myself.

I'm not sentimental enough to enjoy weddings.  Some people say the weddings industry is a big ripoff, and I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on getting married.  Your basic city hall wedding would satisfy me, assuming I'd go all the way to marriage in the first place.  And is being married really any better than living together?  I've never cohabited either, so I really don't know.

I remember that when I was 19 I got up early in the morning to watch Prince Charles and Lady Diana's wedding live.  In hindsight it seems lame to go to that much trouble to see people you don't know get hitched.  If you ask me, monarchy is silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment