Sunday, July 27, 2014

Thursdays

When I was little, I remem her liking Thursday nights because they came just before Friday, which came just before the weekend.  When I was twelve and we moved to the Toronto area, I started to get interested in what new movies were being released, though I rarely went to the movies back then, and followed the movie ads in The Toronto Star.  Thursday was the day when they showed what new movies would be released the following day.

Back in the mid-1980s, I'd  watch the sitcom Cheers on Thursday nights. (I've been watching the reruns on Netflix, and it holds up very well.) Later, they showed "must-see TV" like Larry David's Seinfeld and Friends on Thursdays, but I'v never watched Friends--the concept always struck me as deeply uninteresting--and I've only seen Seinfeld in short bits.  But I love David's more recent sitcom Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Thursday can be a good day for food shopping because they've just brought in a big load of fresh food for the weekend trade.  And for me Thursday evening at 10:00 is the time when The New York Times puts its Friday crossword puzzle online.  I don't bother with the Monday through Thursday puzzles because they're a bit too easy, but Friday and especially Saturday are nice and challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment