Monday, November 5, 2018

Lakes, ponds and quarries

When I was growing up in Sackville, N.B., we lived near a quarry pond.  There was a brook that flowed into it and one that flowed out. (On one occasion my brother John dammed up the brook flowing in and for a little while the place became really quiet.  In the winter it froze and we could skate on it.  I still dream about it from time to time.

The place was fairly picturesque.  Sometimes the fine arts students from the nearby university would come there and paint the scene.  We increased the beauty by introducing some lupin flowers from the land near our cottage and they spread over the area.  Some were white, some blue, some red, and hybrids soon appeared.

Do you go down to visit Lake Ontario?  My parents and I used to do that back when we had a car.  We mostly went to the beach at Sunnyside, but a few times we went to the one at Mimico.  One place I've enjoyed visiting is the Leslie Street spit.  I like that it's a work in progress, with new landfill continually expanding it in several places.  I remember one time when we visited in April, and it was so cool that big snowflakes started falling!  Funny what you remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment