Thursday, November 8, 2018

Remembering things wrong

When I was young I saw the miniseries Rich Man, Poor Man.  There's one scene in it where this bully forced Nick Nolte into a fight.  My memory told me that Nolte ended up knocking the guy out cold.  But when I saw it in recent years, it turned out that was an exaggeration:  Nolte did lick the guy, but he was still conscious afterward.  Yet I can't help feeling the scene would have been better my way!

Sometimes I think about those simple ways things could have been better.  Like on the TV cartoon Underdog. (What kind of superhero goes by the name Underdog, of all names?) The theme song goes, "Speed of lightning, roar of thunder!  Fighting all who rob or plunder!" It seems to me that the song should have gone "Fighting all who rob and plunder!" I'm a born editor.

My mother was always remembering things wrong. But that was her kooky style. (Do you know people like that?) What bugs me is people drawing the wrong lesson from their wrong memories, like those who still claim that Bernie Sanders didn't support Hillary Clinton in her fight against Donald Trump, which he clearly did!

No comments:

Post a Comment