Sunday, May 25, 2014

A memorable birthday party

I don't remember much about birthday parties, but I do remember a bit about some birthdays.  Like the blue shirt that I wore on my fourth birthday, or the minty taste of the valentine-shaped cake on my ninth birthday.  

I do remember my fifteenth birthday because of a scene the night before:  I'd griped to my parents about a certain adult who I felt had humiliated me in public, and their response was to blast me for being too sensitive.  Things were pretty icy the following day.  And on my sixteenth birthday I saw the movie 2001:  A Space Odyssey for the first time.  It was sobering.

Today, I'm not big on birthday parties, though I do like getting a strawberries & cream cake.  When I turned fifty a couple of years ago, I went onto YouTube and found the episode of All in the Family where Archie Bunker turned fifty. (He insisted he was just 49.) I must say that I still looked a lot younger than him.  There was also an episode of Maude where she turned fifty and blew out her birthday candles with a hair dryer!

No comments:

Post a Comment