Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Shopping centres

When I was young, my idea of the big city was Moncton.  The first shopping centre I went to was Highfield Square in Moncton, which made a big impression on me at the time:  I dream about it occasionally.  These days I mainly remember the toy store and the bookstore.  Then they built Cumberland Square in Amherst, just across the Nova Scotia border from my hometown.

I can take shopping centres or leave them.  I actually prefer Dufferin Mall to Eaton Centre:  it has a bit more atmosphere.  When I visit a new shopping centre, the place that interests me the most is the bookstore, but they seem to be disappearing except for big places like Chapters and Indigo.

And then there are strip malls.  Some people find them tacky, but I suppose they have a certain authenticity you don't find in the big-box stores.  I read somewhere that they're disappearing.  Maybe we'll feel nostalgic for them someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment