Friday, May 2, 2014

Detention

I didn't get a lot of detentions.  There was this time when I was thirteen and there was this big kid who clearly wanted to get me in trouble.  After one class he started a scuffle with me.  I touched his shoulder in a non-violent way.  He then pulled up my chair, causing me to fall on the floor, then went to the substitute teacher and told her he did it because I'd socked him right between the eyes!  This substitute teacher was so incompetent that she assumed this was the true story without even asking me for my version!  So I got a detention.

That wouldn't have been so bad, except that when I came home, my mother could not deal with the news.  She actually feared that if I got one detention the school would refuse to issue me a report card and force me to repeat the year!  And she was furious at me, saying: "If you hadn't touched him, it would have been all his fault." I had no answer to that.  Later she was more forgiving, but I still resented her initial reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment