Thursday, May 1, 2014

Ethnic idiosyncrasies

I grew up in a small town in New Brunswick with few ethnic minorities.  I recall that in primary school there was an adopted Indonesian boy, yet because I was that young I didn't think of him as non-white!

When I moved to Toronto at 28, one of the first things that impressed me was the large number of Chinese people. (When I was a kid, I'd thought of all East Asians as funny.) And one thing I love about Toronto is the ethnic mix.  I have a Chinese doctor, a Czech dentist, an Arab psychiatrist and an Italian singing teacher.  I suppose this is the future of the world, and it isn't so bad.

Do I have any ethnic idiosyncrasies?  Well, I'm mostly Scottish--my mother came from Cape Breton Highland stock--and I'm teetotal and a bit dour.

No comments:

Post a Comment