Sunday, May 11, 2014

World fairs and Expos

When I was five, we travelled to Montreal to visit Expo 67.  We camped in a place where the ground was on a slope. (Campground space was at a premium in that area.) I think we travelled through Maine.

I actually don't remember much about Expo.  I liked the train that took us onto the site.  I walked far too much for a five-year-old, and ended up turning disagreeable. (I don't even remember the ostensible reason for my snit.) I think it happened while we were standing in the queue for the mini-rail.

That Expo year there were a lot of Centennial projects around the country. (Money was flowing more freely back then.) In my New Brunswick hometown, the local high school built a new wing.  And the Lions Club built a revolving clock.  Today I sometimes spot sidewalk blocks in Toronto with the Centennial logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment