Sunday, May 4, 2014

Where I was at historic moments

I remember going down to the post office on the day of Canada's 1968 election.  I was six, and when my sister asked me whether I preferred Stanfield or Trudeau, I chose Stanfield because I felt more comfortable with his name.

I remember hearing a lot about Nixon's election, Martin Luther King's murder and the first moon landing, but not when I first heard about them.  And I remember the Apollo 13 crisis:  our Grade 2 teacher took us to her house so we could see the astronauts being rescued at sea on TV.

I heard Nixon give his resignation speech on a car radio in a Cape Breton campground.  And I found out that Gerald Ford had pardoned him from a voiceover during the closing credits of The Waltons.

I remember hearing about Elvis Presley's death over the radio.  And when Anwar Sadat visited Jerusalem and spoke in front of the Knesset, I saw his speech on live TV. (It was a Sunday morning.) I was also watching the 1978 Emmy Awards when they were interrupted so Jimmy Carter could announce that the Camp David negotiations had resulted in a peace agreement between Israel and Egypt.  At first I thought it was yet another joke at Carter's expense.

I woke up early in the morning  to see Charles and Diana's royal wedding on live TV in 1981. (Today I can't believe that I cared so much about the royals back then.) And when I heard about Diana's death, I'd just flown back from England and taken a long sleep to overcome my jet lag.

I remember the 9/11 attacks, which I first heard about in an internet forum.  I was scheduled to fly to London that day, but got delayed two days because of all the US planes landing in Toronto.  It seems a really small inconvenience compared to what people in New York went through, and especially compared to what people in the Middle East would soon be going through.


No comments:

Post a Comment